What exactly does it mean? Where did it originate from? Who named it? What is love?
I have come to know and believe that God is love. (1 John 4:8). True love is God and it can only be shown in God. The world has its version of love, which is often mistaken for God’s kinda love.
Let me tell you a bit about what I’ve learned about God’s love and that which the world gives, and why I believe that God is indeed love.
1. He loved us first, even when we had no idea of who He was. 1 John 4:19
2. Although we were living in sin, and did not appreciate His efforts for us, He still sent His only son to suffer and die on the cross to redeem us and save us from eternal damnation. John 3:16, 1 John 4:9-10
3. God’s love has no strings attached – it remains regardless of what we do, or say, or think. Romans 8:35-39.
4. His love for us is everlasting and does not depend on what we do or do not do. 1 John 4:7
5. God’s love defines us; our identity really stems from Him.
6. He gives us life daily and provides for us, whether we reciprocate the love or not, whether we obey Him or not, He shows us love. Nehemiah 9:6, John 1:3-4, Philippians 4:19
7. God is always with us and protects us from all evil even when we are living in sin. Deuteronomy 31:6, 2 Thessalonians 3:3, Matthew 28:20
8. God’s love is not selfish, it is patient, it is kind, it seeks the good of others and keeps no records of wrong. God’s love is not jealous. 1 Corinthians 13
With the world, it’s different.
The world loves you because of what you can give it.
The world will only love you if only you do what it requires of you and pleases it.
The world’s love always has strings attached, either visible or invisible.
The world only cares for its own.
There are many other reasons why I know and believe that God is love and true love can only exist in Him. You cannot give out what you do not have, therefore, if you do not have God, you do not love, so, you cannot give out love…You may give out the world’s version of love, which is temporary as it depends on certain things.
Today, as you show love to your loved ones, think back on God’s love in your life. Replicate that love to your loved ones – love that does not depend on anything, love that stems from God, love that lasts irrespective of circumstances.
Ask yourself which kind of love have I been showing to people, God’s love or the world’s love? Truth is, without God’s love we are nothing. Without God’s love, we most likely wouldn’t be here today. If more people replicated God’s love, the world would definitely be better than it is today. Be one of God’s advocate and show the world today what it really means to love, what true love really means.
God is always ready to show you what His love looks like, to show you how He changes you with His love. In order to do that, you would have to accept His Son, Jesus, into your heart to create the channel of communication between you and God.
If you want to accept Jesus as your Lord and Personal Savior and give Him a home in your heart, say this prayer from the depths of your heart:
Dear Lord Jesus, I thank You for dying on the cross of Calvary to save me from the world. I believe You died just for me and I confess that You Are Lord. I invite You into my heart, make it Your home and make me Yours. Thank you Jesus. In Jesus’s Name, Amen.
If you said this prayer, with your heart and believed it, then you are saved.(Romans 10:9). Jesus resides in your heart. Spend more time talking and listening to Him by praying and reading the Bible. Join a Bible-believing and Spirit-filled church and build a personal relationship with Him.
Patiently wait, and He will amaze you with His Father’s love.
Always remember: God’s love is permanent and builds you up, the world’s love is temporary and drains you.
Photo Credits: Google